Oil Spill Science Seminar: Healthy Gulf Seafood
November 18, 2015 from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
- How did agencies test seafood during and after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?
- How do fish and other animals break down oil and other contaminants?
- How are scientists monitoring seafood to keep consumers safe?
- Gary Shigenaka, NOAA – Overview of the oil spill and seafood testing
- Gina Ylitalo, NOAA – Results of federal and state seafood testing programs
- Mark Wilson, Tulane – Results of seafood testing programs in at-risk communities
- Benjamin Dubansky, University of North Texas – How fish use genes to break down oil
- Susan Snyder, University of South Florida – How fish use organs to break down oil
- Ruth Carmichael, Dauphin Island Sea Lab – How oysters break down oil
Location: Hardy Hall Ballroom, University of Southern Mississippi â€“ Gulf coast campus 730 E. Beach Blvd., Long Beach, MS