Navigating Shifting Sands: Oil on our beaches
August 5, 2015 from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Join us for an oil spill science seminar focused on oil on our beaches. Scientists will be sharing their work to answer lingering questions about oil that washed up on Alabama and Florida beaches during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. View the flyer.
Speakers and topics will include:
- Scott Zengel, Research Planning Inc. – What happened during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?
- Joel Hayworth, Auburn University – How did the oil spill impact beaches?
- Patricia (Soupy) Dalyander, US Geological Survey – How does oil off of our beaches move around?
- Prabhakar Clement, Auburn University – How do we know where the oil is from and how long will it take to break down?
- Patricia Sobecky, University of Alabama – What microbes are on tar balls?
- Markus Huettel, Florida State University – What is the fate of oil buried in Pensacola Beach sands?
Registration: This seminar is free and lunch will be provided. If you would like lunch, you must register.
Questions? Contact Larissa Graham with Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant by email or 251-348-5436.
Register at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/shiftingsands
Location: J. Earle Bowden Building, 120 Church St., Pensacola, FL