Building resilient communities: Lessons learned from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
September 27, 2016 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 – 9 AM to 4PM (in-person registration starts at 8:30AM)
Hardy Hall, The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park Campus (map)
730 E. Beach Blvd., Long Beach, MS
Attend IN-PERSON or WATCH ONLINE
Registration is FREE & includes lunch – Register here
During this seminar, researchers and panelists will identify traits that made communities more resilient after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, discuss programs and resources that are available to communities, and share lessons learned in overcoming disasters and identify ways to strengthen resiliency.
Speakers will include:
- Dr. David Abramson, NYU (Topic: Physical, economic, social, and political capitals and how they tie into individual and community resilience)
- Dr. Duane Gill, Oklahoma State (Topic: Compensation process and impacts to resilience)
- Dr. Katie Cherry, Lousiana State University (Topic: The role of religion, social support, networks, optimism, and hope in recovery)
- Lauren Weathers, University of Mississippi (Topic: Meaning, Resilience, and Traumatic Stress after Deepwater Horizon)
- Dr. Jennifer Langhinrichsen-Rohling, University of South Alabama (Topic: Perceived resilience after Deepwater Horizon)
Panelists will include:
- Ayanna V. Buckner, Gulf Region Health Outreach Program
- Melissa Finucane, Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Consortium for Resilient Gulf Communities
- Janel Lowman, Coastal Resource & Resiliency Center
- Dan Hahn, Community Organizations Active in Disasters
- Elizabeth Tatum, US Coast Guard
- Sharon Gauthe, Bayou Interfaith Shared Community Organizing
- Thoa Vu, Coalition for Vietnamese-American Fisherfolks & families
- Emily Blewjas, Bayou Clinic
- Robert Turpin, Escambia County Marine Resources Division
Interested in attending either in-person or via live-streaming over the web? Please take a moment to register for what is sure to be a great FREE seminar that includes lunch for in-person attendees. To register, click here.
Can’t make it in person? Consider attending online. On the day of the seminar, sit back, relax, and watch from our guest speakers from the comfort of your office or home.
1, Join WebEx by clicking on the following link: https://masgc.webex.com/masgc/j.php?MTID=m86e9333a36874b7c432bf81f33a70cec
2. Call into our toll-free line:
number: 1-888-848-0190/code: 8096626#
Questions? For more details, please contact Larissa Graham by email or phone: 251-348-5436.
Location: Hardy Hall, The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park Campus, 730 E. Beach Blvd., Long Beach, MS